Authorization to travel with a Minor Form

Minors must have the same passport and visa documents as adults while traveling abroad. Minors (under the age of 18) who travel abroad without either or both parents have to show a letter of approval signed by any/all non-traveling parents. This is called an Authorization to travel with a Minor Form.

A child’s birth certificate will usually suffice while traveling inside the United States or traveling overseas by land or sea. A notarized letter of consent would be issued for children traveling without either or more parents or legal guardians.

The procedure involved in this form

An Authorization to travel with a Minor Form is a legal document that allows a minor to travel without their parents domestically or abroad. This form is typically used when minors travel with a party, education, or an adult who is not a legal guardian. But it can also apply when the child travels alone.

It informs people that the child has written consent or legal authorization to move independently from their parents. Travel can take place across state boundaries or national borders. Other names for this type of form that people use as a reference are:

  • Affidavit of Consent for Children Traveling Abroad
  • Letter for Children Traveling Abroad
  • Child Travel Consent Form
  • Travel Permission Letter
  • Parental consent form

If they suspect an abduction or kidnapping, Customs and Border Protection (CBP), immigration officers, or law enforcement officers can detain the child, even if it is not necessary by law. A permission letter for children traveling overseas will help you avoid any problems.

What are the elements of a Minor Travel Consent Form?

An Authorization to travel with a Minor Form will contain the following elements:

  • Parents. Name of legal guardian(s) or parent(s) of legal custody
  • Personal information. Name, date of birth, place of birth, and passport information for the child
  • Child. Traveling alone to visit a single adult OR traveling with another adult
  • Travel details. Trip specifics include travel times, origin/destination cities, and the trip’s intent.
  • Trip details. of destination and emergency contact information
  • Contact information. Name of the individual or party that will be accompanying you as a responsible adult
  • Signature. signed by a parent or legal guardian who is not accompanying the child on the trip.
  • Notary or witnesses. Some airlines need additional witness signatures for authentication, while US Customs and Border Protection recommends notarized documents.

When is this form used?

The Authorization to travel with a Minor Form is widely used when either or more parents or legal guardians are unavailable to accompany the child on the trip. The following circumstances require the authorization to travel with a minor form:

  • The child is under the age of eighteen.
  • Traveling by aircraft, rail, or ship is a great way to see the world.
  • Using a plane to cross the US border
  • Flying in or out of the state on a domestic flight
  • The child’s custody is in question.
  • Only one parent has primary custody of their child.

If the child has only one parent, the parent traveling with the child should carry approved copies of the following supporting documents:

  • A ruling of the court
  • Certificate of Death
  • Just one parent is included on the birth certificate.
  • Custody documents certifying that the guardian has lawful custody of the child.
  • A notarized declaration or affidavit.

If you are going to a foreign country, you need to call the embassy and figure out if a special government form is necessary. According to the US Embassy in South Africa, because an estimated 30,000 minors from South Africa have become victims of human trafficking.

All children flying to or from South Africa must travel with their birth certificate and an affidavit of consent if only traveling with one parent.

Why you should use this form

Adults may officially record that they are allowed to travel with a child who is not their own while traveling with children.

Customs and Border Protection officers have the authority to request paperwork, so having the Authorization to travel with a Minor Form on hand is a good idea. In this case, you and your child will be arrested until the matter is resolved.

The presence of a Parental Consent Form does not ensure entry or exit from a government. Border officials have complete discretion about whether or not to allow your child and/or the responsible adult to enter or exit their country.

Does an Authorization to travel with a Minor Form include medical decisions?

The Authorization to travel with a Minor Form does not include the permission to make medical decisions on behalf of the infant. If the consenting parent or guardian wishes to transfer those rights, a minor child power of attorney type may be allowed.