Options to get the Texas residency

Texas is one of the states with a simple procedure to get a residency. You can do it by requesting a state ID or a drivers license.

If you live in Texas but do not have this status, or if you are moving there, it is something that will give you numerous rewards; for example, you will not have to pay income taxes, and you will be able to vote.

So, if you want to know more about it, keep reading this article about the options to become a permanent resident of this state.

Previous consideration: moving to Texas

Evidently, if you want the residency, you must live in Texas. This means that you will have to move -if you come from another state- or establish definitely by buying or renting your own house.

It is an important step, because you will be asked to give your address in almost every legal application, including this one.

Also, there are two aspects to consider in this case:

  1. If you already have a license or ID from another state, you just have to change it to one from Texas in the first 30 days upon your arrival.
  2. If you do not have it, you must prove that you have been living in Texas for at least 30 days before the application.

READ ALSO: Unemployment Benefits in Texas

Option 1: Get a driver’s license

Once you move to Texas, you have upon 90 days to do the following:

Register your vehicle

  • First, get a car insurance: the minimum amounts are $30,000 per injured person and $25,000 for property damage.
  • Then, go for a vehicle inspection at a certified Department of Public Safety (DPS) station. Use this finder to locate the nearest from you: www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/VIactiveStationLocator/default.aspx.

inspection station locator

  • Get your registration sticker and license plate at a local county tax office. You will have to show the insurance certification, the inspection report, and a document that proofs that you are the owner of the vehicle.

Obtain the license

After you complete the previous requirements, you can obtain the license in the DPS.

  • Provide the required documents: Proof of US citizenship or legal status, identity, Texas residency, Social Security number, vehicle registration, and vehicle insurance. About the Texas residency, you must provide at least two of the documents of this list: https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/residencyReqNonCDL.htm.

texas residency documents

  • Complete the Impact Texas Driver (ITD) program, and a six-hour Driver Education course.
  • Fill the DL-14A application form.

DL-14A Form

  • Schedule an appointment at a driver license office.
  • Submit all the information above.
  • Pay the fee.

driver license fees

  • Take and pass the vision exam and the knowledge test.
  • Have your thumbprints and picture taken.
  • Receive your license in your mail within 45 days.

Option 2: Get a state ID

The procedure to get an ID is very similar, and as well as the driver’s license, you have upon 90 days to request it.

texas residency documents

  • Fill the DL-14A application form.

DL-14A Form

  • Schedule an appointment at a driver license office.
  • Submit all the information above.
  • Pay the fee.

identification card fees

  • Have your thumbprints and picture taken.
  • Receive a temporary ID while your application is reviewed. The original card will be sent to your mail within 45 days.

Register to vote

You can also formalize your legal residency in Texas by registering to vote.


  • Be a US citizen and a resident of the county where you live.
  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Not having committed a felony.

Submit an application

  • In-person: Get a form at your county Voter Registrar’s office or any polling place, fill it, and mail it 30 days before the election date.
  • Online: You can also fill an online application here. When you are done, print it, sign it, and mail it to the Voter Registrar’s office.

COVID-19 regulations

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many driver license offices are closed or working only on specific services. Before you go to any location, be sure to make a call and ask about what you want to request: (512) 424-2600.